Hey, Woodstock-Towne Lake. I’m here in your inbox today to tell you everything you need to know about what’s going on around town, including news about…
- Canton couple is facing elder-related charges.
- The new play at Woodstock Arts encourages mental health discussions.
- Flooding was reported in Cherokee County on Wednesday.
But first, today’s weather:
Partly sunny. High: 61 Low: 36.
This great local business sponsors the Woodstock-Towne Lake Daily. We love what they do, and we think you will, too:
Looking for an all natural, locally-sourced way to boost your immune system? Defense Tea’s mission is to provide the most delicious and healthy immune boosting teas and lemonades with ingredients you can say, spell and taste. Their teas and lemonades are made in house with locally sourced ingredients, and come in handy grab-and-go, ready to consume bottles. Enjoy a boost of immunity without the artificial flavors you’ll find at the local market. Visit them here to learn more and place an order.
Click here to get your business featured in this spot.
Here are the top three stories in Woodstock-Towne Lake today:
- A Cherokee County couple has been charged with exploitation, intimidation of an elder, criminal trespass, card fraud and assault in relation to ongoing incidents between an elderly mother, her daughter and her son-in-law. The three had been living together in a home on Arbor Hill Road in Canton since July 2022, when the mother sold her home and moved in with the couple. The mother bought a vehicle for the couple, hoping it would help ease the “burden” her presence caused them. Soon after, the couple allegedly began demanding money through the use of threats and withholding of food and utilities. A few days before Christmas, the couple is suspected of kicking the elderly mother out of the house. (WSB-TV Atlanta)
- If you have a child 10 or older, the Woodstock Arts production of “Every Brilliant Thing” is a great segue into the discussion of mental health. The play about a young boy that creates a list of the “brilliant things” in life to help his mother in her struggle with depression includes an audience participation opportunity and a list of “brilliant things” posted at the theater where you can add your items . There are only 6 performances of the play, so make sure to grab your tickets soon if you’d like to attend. (Free: Woodstock Arts and Subscription: Cherokee Tribune & Ledger-News)
- Yesterday’s rains brought flooding to the county in several areas, but thankfully, no flood-related injuries have been reported. The Cherokee Sheriff’s Office posted updates on their Facebook page about downed power lines and flooding through the overnight hours on Tuesday and into Wednesday. Major flooding in spots over Bells Ferry Road and Johnson Brady Road was reported well into yesterday afternoon, head over to the Sheriff’s Office Facebook page to see the pictures and videos, it’s astounding. (Cherokee Sheriff’s Office via Facebook)
Today in Woodstock-Towne Lake:
- YPOW AM (open to non-members): Join the Young Professionals of Woodstock for coffee, networking and an informal chat with a local leader at The Circuit, 1 Innovation Way. (7:30 – 8:30 am)
- Hot Chocolate Tasting Time: for all ages, although children must be accompanied by an adult. There will be several flavors of hot chocolate, toppings, cocoa-themed crafts and more at the Woodstock Library, 4476 Towne Lake Parkway. (3 – 5 p.m)
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Tournament: double-elimination tournament, the entry fee includes access to all arcade, pinball and board games at The Blue Ghost Arcade, 164 Towne Lake Parkway. (8 – 10:30 p.m)
- DJ Trivia: every Thursday, the top three teams win cash at Guston’s Grille, 12195 Highway 92, Suite 156. (8 – 11 p.m)
From my notebook:
- Tennis lessons will be offered at Cherokee Recreation & Parks from January 23 – March 8. There are lessons for adults and for those 8 and under, 10 and under and 15 and under. You can read more about this and other offers from the department here. (Cherokee Recreation & Parks via Facebook)
- Downtown Woodstock: “Enjoy some delicious bubble tea at Tiny Bubbles Tea Bar in Downtown Woodstock! @tinybubblesteabar #woodstockga #woodstockgeorgia #downtownwoodstock” (Downtown Woodstock via Instagram)
- Downtown Woodstock: “The Reeves House at Woodstock Arts is hosting an opening reception this Friday, January 6th, 6pm – 9pm, for the newest exhibit at the gallery, “Corrina Sephora: Echoes of Ecology – Prayers & Rituals.” Corrina Sephora is a mixed media artist with a background in metal sculpture, painting, and installation.” (Downtown Woodstock via Instagram)
Here are some events coming up that require registration or a ticket purchase in advance:
- MadLife Stage & Studios, 8722 Main Street
- Friday: Cash Unchained – A Johnny Cash Tribute (7 p.m)
- Friday: ’84 – A Van Halen Tribute (10 p.m)
- Saturday: Cash Unchained – A Johnny Cash Tribute (7 p.m)
- Saturday: Spiderwebs – A Tribute to No Doubt & Gwen Stefani (10 p.m)
- Sunday: End of the Line – An Allman Brothers Tribute & CD Release Party (7 p.m)
- The Gifted Ferret, 1910 Eagle Drive, Suite 400
- Woodstock Arts
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Thursday! See you all tomorrow for your next update.
— Nina Lightcap
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Woodstock-Towne Lake Daily? Contact me at Woodstock@Patch.com